Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Those who choose to remain nameless

So this happens every so often, someone stumbles on my blog and decides to comment without leaving their name and critiques me harshly.

First off, let me say I am glad that you found your way here, my thoughts entertaining, and yet I am sad that you, whomever you are, disliked them. I think that we are all entitled to our opinions, and granted I am very opinionated.

You posted various quotations from great men. I spent a few moments searching my previous posts searching where I purported to be a judge of truth and knowledge. I think it is never a mistake to look to far ahead, as I believe the cliche success is half preparation half showing up. Destructive selfishness? I was taught that fortune favors those who help themselves rather than relying on others. I think of myself a very kind man, rarely turning away those who would enlist my aid. Again, all my opinions.

Your Einstein quotes while impressive, led me to great struggle in discerning their relevance to my posts and opinions. I have been deeply influenced by Adam Smith, who makes a great case that when everyone operates to the best of their ability society as a whole benefits. It is the natural state of man to work in his self-interest.

Call me self-righteous to focus on my own personal success rather than the affairs of others, to highlight my strengths that I may garner greater appreciation for my hard work, and to dream of success. I will respectfully disagree.

I will agree that I have a great weakness in humility, but who are you to cast stones? Are you so wise that you are able to critique my thoughts? To me this is an inherent contradiction. Wise men have achieved success in a variety of ways, fortune, education, brute force etc.. There is no set pattern on how to arrive at such a destination. I believe that the most important trait is a desire to reach such heights. Many men have reached ruin focusing on helping their fellow man rather than taking care of their own affairs.

I have never been a selfish person, and God has smiled upon me for such reasons. I like to master things because I was given the ability to do so, not to prove anything. I would think it very rare for someone to actually have a plethora of interests and merely refine them for the sake of flattery.

Nonetheless, thank you for your comments and in the future I would love to know who you are. I don't think I meant depression is my sole motivating factor, I think depression is a great motivator in general. My true conflictions are a healthy fear of failure and a desire to utilize what providence has bestowed upon me, rather than waste it like so many around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without excepting it. Aristotle

I just think the the anonymous person was just one who is as entitled to his opinion as you are or I am....yes???